I hope your work week is off to a good start and you’ve had some time to get your pattern, fabric & supplies for the sewalong!
I don’t know about you, but I get some of my best sewing done either late at night or on the weekends. I’m able to sewing with a clear mind, no distractions and am able to get way more done!
This week’s focus is cutting your pattern + fabric pieces.
As we dive into the sewalong, I wanted to show you some easy ways to cut your Ankara print in order to maximize your fabric. There’s nothing worse than feeling like you might not have enough of what you need!
Tragedy has struck and I accidentally deleted this video!!!
Key things to remember:
- Ankara fabrics are the same on the right & wrong sides, so it’s important to mark with chalk the WRONG side of your fabric.
- The RIGHT side will be marked with writing on the bottom. You’ll be able to read the RIGHT side of your fabric. The WRONG side will be backwards. 🙂
- Use small corners from the gaps, spaces in between your pattern pieces to cut things like your sleeve cuffs and pockets.
- Cut your sash & sleeve fronts along the WIDTH of your fabric, to maximize space.
- Cut one piece & then FLIP your pattern to the opposite side and then cut the 2nd piece.
- Put the remainder of your fabric to the side for the skirt!
I think this sums it up!
I hope this videos helps you cut the pattern pieces for your bodice + sash. If you have questions, please comment below!
*You’ll notice that I’ve left the skirt bottom out of this section – we’ll tackle that later*
Next week, we’ll get right into sewing our bodices 🙂
Until next time,