It seems like every year around this time, with resolutions and new commitments and whatnot, I’m more willing to step outside of my usual style comfort zone and WANT to take more risks.
Lately, I’ve been getting the itch to cut my hair & to switch some things up with my wardrobe too. It’s been several years since I’ve tried anything new with my hair and it’s time and since really diving into sewing for myself, I’ve been on a mad hunt to add pieces to my closet that I love!
I’ve done that. But now, it’s time to start thinking outside the box a bit. I’m definitely withIN my comfort zone with making pants & fit-n-flare dresses. Growing up, I was always a little insecure about my shape and never felt too comfortable showing off my curves. When you grow up with 2 older brothers, wearing clothes that showed off too much skin just wasn’t something I did.
Defy your comfort zone!
WHY it’s so important:
Trying new things can give you new life. You’re not dead yet – so why not act A.L.I.V.E!Rome wasn't built in a day, so you've got to become comfortable with being un-comfortable. Click To Tweet
HOW to do it:
- Let. It. ALL. GO! Whatever little thoughts are nagging you to the point of holding you back. It’s time to let those thoughts go. No matter what your resolutions are for the new year – losing weight & getting fit, knocking some crazy things off of your bucket list, traveling more, spending more time with family, the list can go on & on & on…. We all have those things that we want to do and their on the ‘new year’s resolutions list’ for a reason, right? We’ve been putting them off, making excuses about why we’re not doing it NOW. Well…. let your excuses go. Period.
- Create a MASTER list of all of the things that make you uncomfortable. If your THING is losing weight & getting fit and going to the gym makes you feel uncomfortable. Write that down. If you’ve been wanting to sew something that seems over your skill set, but you want it in your closet anyway BUT you’re afraid to mess up that beautiful new fabric that you just bought! Write that down too. Tally up that list. Capture everything that you’ve been wanting to do, but keep making excuses for.
- Make a compromise with yourself to add something from your master list of uncomfortable-ness that you’re willing to try, within reason 🙂
- Take gradual steps! Rome wasn’t built in a day, so you’ve got to become comfortable with being un-comfortable. You’re human, but you still need to try. Something that I’ve committed myself to doing is trying something that’s on my MASTER LIST for one week STRONG! This week, it’s wearing heels to work. I hate wearing heels!! But, I’m putting the excuses down and picking my heels UP. And… it’s Wednesday. And it’s not so bad!
- JUST. DO. IT! The more you listen to that little voice in the back of your head, the more likely you are to talk yourself out of it altogether. We only live ONCE! Wouldn’t you FEEL so much better if you started to conquer some of those fears or self doubts or excuses or…. or…. or….
- Improve your self-talk. Anytime you’ve made the mindset to incorporate CHANGE, you need to keep yourself motivated. It’s no different than drinking water. Your body needs it, just like your soul needs positive self-talk. Check out my Pinterest Board full of motivational quotes! These quotes keep me going!! Save a few. Frame one. But start today!
At what point of getting out of your comfort zone is just too uncomfortable?
Remember, you’ll work within your “Master List” of what makes you uncomfortable and make a deal with yourself to TRY something new – to the point where you become comfortable. If this is absolutely impossible, then try.something.ELSE! You’re not glued to one decision from the next. That’s the GREAT part about trying something different. You can always change your mind!!! 🙂
Change isn’t always easy, but you can make it FUN!
Having trouble getting started?
I always like operating on the Buddy System. Who doesn’t like going through life with one of your “Good Good Good Girlfriends” to hold each other accountable and to challenge each other?? If you’re not at a point where you want someone in your “business of change” – then at some point you should ask yourself – how willing are you to make that step to try something new? And then go grab your BFF and make it happen! No more excuses. The small voice in the back of your head needs to die. Yep. I said it. Kill the small voice in your head that keeps stopping you from being your best you!
Are you ready to defy your comfort zone?